Thursday, July 30, 2009

Second Encounter

On our way to church a few weeks ago, an old woman approached me and my friend. It was obvious she was going to ask for something. Normally Iwould just walk away from strangers who would approach for fear that it might just be a modus operandi and I'd end up being victimized. Well, I heard stories. . . .

This time, I thought it was different so I stopped. For one, the woman was old, maybe in her 60s or 70s. Also, she didn't ask for money but for volunteers to come with her to the nearest Red Cross office. She needs a few bags of blood for her son who is in the hospital and in serious condition. "He needs immediate blood transfusion", the woman said. If there would be no volunteers, she needs to buy the blood herself for P800 per bag. The woman begged us to come with her and in between sobs she said she was willing to become our slave inorder to pay us. "Handa akong magpaalipin sa inyo mga anak" were her exact words. It broke my heart. She was crying and I couldn't help myself, I cried with her. I decided to help her. As I was getting ready to go with her to the Red Cross, I got a phone call, asking me where I was and that I was already late for a meeting. I remembered, yes, there was supposed to be a discipleship group meeting and I'm the facilitator. Darn, what do Ido? I considered just giving her the money so she can get the blood immediately. I have P2000; small amount compared to her son's life.

As my friend was buying food for the woman, (she fainted and she said she hasn't had breakfast), I called my friend who has a sister who works at the Red Cross. I asked her how we could help the woman, if there is any way to expedite things since this is a matter of emergency. I recounted the woman's story plus my plan to give her money. My friend warned me to be careful, to take it slowly, that the woman's story might be a fraud. She said she heard that same, exact story before. I couldn't believe it. That woman, if she's lying could win a best actress award. She could produce tears by the bucket!

Because of the warning, I took it slow. I told the woman that I just have a meeting that would go for one and a half hour. I would go directly to the red cross after the meeting. I asked for important details like her name and her son's, where to go if there are volunteers, and other details which she readily gave. I then gave her P100 so she could take a cab (she was planning to walk all the way to the RC).

When she left, I asked the guard to advertise the need for volunteers and gave him the details so that the volunteers can just go directly to the RC. We then analyzed what happened and realized that there were a lot of inconsistencies in the woman's story:

* She said her son was in serious condition, that he would die without the blood. If he is already confined, don't hospitals give patients immediate aid, like in this çase, the blood then ask the family to replace them later?

* If there is really a need for volunteers, isn't it easier to persuade your relatives to help instead of approaching strangers? Why didn't the woman go to those she knew first? Because the woman said she came straight from the hospital to us.

* When I told her to go ahead to Red Cross and then we wll follow after our meeting, suddenly she doesn't know where Red Cross is. We had to give her the directiona. Didn't she say she already went there? She was even quoted how much a bag of blood costs.

and a lot more that I couldn't remember now.

I remember saying then that it's okay if the woman was lying; that I'd prefer losing the P100 and shedding those tears than knowing that her son is dying and she can not even do something about it. One of the most painful things for a parent is to know your child is dying and you're helpless to do something about it. I was so sure then that if indeed the woman was lying, I would not feel bad.

Well, I was wrong! This morning, I had my second encounter with the woman. She's on another 'location' but has the same story. Yes, she still has the ability to produce tears within seconds.

I couldn't say I did not feel bad, because honestly, I did. I hate it that people capitalize on other people's emotions just to earn a few bucks. I don't like the alibis or the dramas they use (a dying son?!!!!).

Well, I may not like what they do but what can I say? I'm sure they have a very important motivation for doing what they're doing, I can just wish them better lives, I guess.

No comments: